Thursday, January 8, 2009

Simply sublime

I recently travelled to Bendigo, a small town a couple of hours north of Melbourne, with my mum, husband and 20-month old toddler to attend a fashion exhibition titled: The Golden Age of Couture - Paris & London 1947-57. http://www.bendigoartgallery.com.au/Page/Page.asp?Page_Id=42&h=0 This is a collection from London's V & A of some of the best examples of haute couture from the period including suits, day dresses, evening dresses and accessories from Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy, Balmain, Hardy Amies.
The tailoring, fabrics and designs are sublime. I rarely wear an evening dress but as soon as I saw this dress it took my breath away. I could imagine myself draped in the chiffon and floating into an elegant soiree. Evening dress by Jean Desses, chiffon c. 1953.






No comments:

Post a Comment